The unique backgrounds at Weyand Law give our firm the right mix of skills and experience to handle cases in counties across Oregon that involves a governmental body. There are specific requirements when seeking legal remedies against state agencies including the requirement to provide a “tort notice” to the agency within a short time period from when you were harmed. It is important for individuals with potential cases against the government for failing to protect them from abuse or neglect to contact an attorney to protect their available legal remedies immediately.

Civil Litigation

State agencies are fallible and the consequences to individuals are great. When a state agency misses abuse or neglect, Oregon’s most vulnerable citizens can face ongoing abuse and neglect with lasting consequences and trauma. When this happens, a civil lawsuit may be necessary to help bring closure, allow you to access services to heal and move forward, and hold the agency accountable.

Successfully suing the government requires litigation skills and experience and niche knowledge of laws, rules, and regulations that many attorneys are not familiar with.

Litigation Support

At Weyand Law, LLC  Simonne Weyand have unique skills and experience to offer solo and small-firm trial attorneys seeking extra litigation support. With extensive jury trial experience, Simonne is available to consult with and assist prepare for and handle jury trials.

From a one-time consultation to formal co-counsel relationships, we support Oregon trial lawyers achieve successful litigation results.

Other Than Contested Case Actions

When a state agency issues a “final order”, you generally have the opportunity to petition for judicial review by a circuit court judge. The judge presiding over an Other Than Contested Case action can only review the agency’s actions and not yours. This process is “full” civil litigation meaning that you have the right to request discovery, take depositions, subpoena information, and more before proceeding to a trial before a circuit court judge. Especially for individuals that hold professional licenses, this can often be a necessary process to overturn a “founded” or “substantiated” neglect or abuse disposition that could negatively affect employment.

If your notice states that you have the right to a contested case hearing process, please visit Administrative Law to learn more.